Tom Phillips joined QEB Hollis Whiteman in September 2018 for an 18-month pupillage. Tom’s pupil supervisor is Fraser Coxhill.
Since commencing his second six in March 2019, Tom has regularly appeared in the Crown, magistrates’ and youth courts. He has gained experience representing individuals with mental health difficulties and has acted in trials involving intermediaries.
Tom has appeared in driving cases on behalf of the defence and has prosecuted driving lists. He has therefore dealt with a wide range of exceptional hardship and special reasons arguments.
During his first six, Tom worked closely with Sean Larkin QC and Paul Raudnitz (his pupil supervisor at the time) on the Serious Fraud Office prosecution of Michael Sorby, Adrian Leek and David Justice which followed the Sarclad DPA. He was later instructed to continue assisting with the case during his second six months of pupillage.
He also assisted Paul Raudnitz with the defence of individuals charged with a range of offences including fraud, money laundering and bribery.
Tom has been an active member of the Free Representation Unit (FRU) since joining as a volunteer in 2015. Through FRU, he has represented clients on a pro bono basis in both the Social Entitlement Chamber of the First Tier Tribunal and the Employment Tribunal. Tom is the Treasurer of FRU, having been elected in 2017, and currently sits on the FRU Management Committee.
During law school, Tom participated successfully in mooting. He was awarded a Norman Tapp Memorial prize for excellence in mooting by Gray’s Inn and reached the finals of the Gray’s Inn, Human Rights Lawyers Association and Inter-Inn Moots.
- CPS External Advocates Panel Level 1
- Nursing and Midwifery Council Approved Counsel
- Government Legal Department Junior Junior Panel
- Youth Justice Legal Centre Approved Counsel
- Criminal Bar Association
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Bar Professional Training Course – BPP Law School (2017-18)
- Graduate Diploma in Law – City Law School (2015-16)
- BA (Hons) Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Keble College, University of Oxford (2012-15)
Scholarships and Awards
- Norman Tapp Memorial Prize for Excellence in Mooting – Gray’s Inn (2018)
- BPTC Advocacy Scholarship – BPP Law School (2017)
- Sir Dingle Foot BPTC Scholarship - Gray’s Inn (2017)
- Michael Beloff QC Essay Prize Winner - Gray’s Inn (2016)
- Future Legal Mind Essay Prize Winner (2016)
- Fluent in French
- Conversational in Spanish