Tom Phillips joined QEB Hollis Whiteman in January 2020 following the successful completion of his pupillage in Chambers.
Corporate and Financial Crime
Tom has experience in cases of bribery, fraud and money laundering. He worked closely with Sean Larkin QC and Paul Raudnitz on the Serious Fraud Office prosecution of Michael Sorby, Adrian Leek and David Justice. The prosecution followed the Sarclad DPA, the three individuals were charged with offences of bribery and corruption.
Tom co-authored, with Monty Raphael, a chapter on Section 7 of the Bribery Act 2010 in the German book ‘Antikorruptions-Compliance’ which is published by CF Mueller.
Tom particularly enjoys cases with a financial element having studied Economics at undergraduate level and completed two internships in finance during his time at Oxford.
Tom has a busy general crime practice, regularly appearing in both the Crown and Magistrates’ Courts.
Tom has experience presenting cases before the NMC and is on the panel of NMC approved counsel. He has also assisted more senior members of chambers in defending cases across various regulators.
In particular, Tom is keen to develop his experience on the disciplinary side of Sports Law.
- CPS External Advocates Panel Level 1
- Nursing and Midwifery Council Approved Counsel
- Government Legal Department Junior Junior Panel
- Youth Justice Legal Centre Approved Counsel
- Criminal Bar Association
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Bar Professional Training Course – BPP Law School (2017-18)
- Graduate Diploma in Law – City Law School (2015-16)
- BA (Hons) Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Keble College, University of Oxford (2012-15)
Scholarships and Awards
- Norman Tapp Memorial Prize for Excellence in Mooting – Gray’s Inn (2018)
- BPTC Advocacy Scholarship – BPP Law School (2017)
- Sir Dingle Foot BPTC Scholarship - Gray’s Inn (2017)
- Michael Beloff QC Essay Prize Winner - Gray’s Inn (2016)
- Future Legal Mind Essay Prize Winner (2016)
- Fluent in French
- Conversational in Spanish